Saturday, July 25, 2009

Why Teal?


So you may ask, why paint the town TEAL of all colors? Well, it's not because my favorite color is teal. It is because teal and I have had an interesting relationship. It started a few years ago when I was designing a space for a client and suggested teal as the accent color. Just so you know, I would not suggest that for every project, and not even very many projects at all, but this particular project needed teal. There was much debate over this color and the client was very hesistant, however, they trusted me and went with it. In my opinion the result was fantastic (see pic below)! Apparently since that experience where I gave teal a chance (after all, it has been a misunderstood color since the 80's when it was poorly used), it is forever grateful and has decided to follow me. Fast forward a year or so to this past Spring when my husband purchased our first home, a lovely Victorian home in a historic district. And of all colors, what color did our new home just happen to be? Yes, teal.

After having many visitors to our home, we have had an array of opinions about the color. In my opinion it gets away with it only because it's a Victorian. A ranch or tri-level would look awful in teal! So the typical question has been, are you going to repaint it? Since my husband and I knew our budget couldn't handle an exterior repaint for quite some time, we decided to embrace the color. In fact, I like it. It's fun, unexpected, and unique. Plus, it's easy to tell people that are visiting where we are at! So, now to how does this all go back to Dayton? Let's be honest, Dayton is not the most exciting place in the world, but it is the place I love, I grew up here, so many memories have been made here. So with all the negativity that is going around about this city, I am setting out to find the beauty here. Like the color teal, Dayton may at first glance not be very appealing or lovely, but once embraced, its beauty and uniqueness come about. So if you are willing to think out of the box a little bit, paint the town teal with me!




No comments:

Post a Comment